Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Little Bits and Pieces

When on a journey through an unfamiliar land one needs to pay attention to any and all details, because it really is not clear what landmarks and artifacts are significant, and which ones are not.

This weekend is a matter of keeping track of some trivia - I am certain that some of it is important, I'm just not sure which is which.

  • Pastor Ray again mentioned the open and welcoming approach of CTK to people of all stripes.  I feel welcome. A very canadian approach in my personal opinion :)
  • A pre-requisite to membership is Baptism.  That makes sense once one thinks about it.  I hope I don't end up holding up the process for the rest of my family.
  • Pastor Ray also mentioned how important is is to be true to the key elements of The Church beliefs and doctrine (my words, his were better).  I'm delighted to see that there is such a strong sense of integrity.  Even if the details are not important to me, I like the assurance that it's about truth.  Even if I don't complete the journey, it will comply with my personal sense of traveling with honor.
  • One other item that came up during the new members class was a story about the enlightening of a well educated philosophy major.  I think that I may have found a guide for my journey.  I'll have to contact the Pastor and see if he can connect us.  (Action - me).  The other sub-text was that the journey will take some time (months to years).  There is comfort in that because it feels like there is some distance to travel.
The service this Sunday was cool.  It was hosted by the High School Youth Group.  One thought prompted by one of the skits was that I could purchase some $5.00 gift cards from Food Lion, and use them to give to the folks that panhandle at stoplights.  That would provide at least some comfort that the investment was being well spent.  Guilt-free giving !

And, saving the best (I guess) for last.  The sermon Sunday was about doubting Thomas.  This is not really a story about doubt, which I would equate to belief with reservation, or skepticism, but about the inherent nature of belief.  Where does it come from?  Where does one find it?  I'm sure that part of the answer is simply "from the people around me", namely a gradual adjustment of assumptions based on the stated beliefs of the community. I'd like to believe (ha ha) that it is something more, but it will require some examination. (Action - me).

No comments:

Post a Comment