Tuesday, March 23, 2010

New Members Class

Last Sunday was new member's class.

Not much to log, except that I hold the honorary posts in the class of...

  • Token Foreigner (the only person that did not originate in the good ol' US
and
  • Token Heathen - the only person in the class without a Christian upbringing.
Pastor Ray noted that my "Heathen" status was too bad, and the conversational context overlaid the meaning that it was too bad that I was in the class.  Our class leader called him on it - good hilarity all 'round.

It is worth a couple of notes before we go too much further.  

Dictionary.com defines Heathen as follows:
–noun
1.
an unconverted individual of a people that do not acknowledge the God of the Bible; a person who is neither a Jew, Christian, nor Muslim; pagan.
2.
an irreligious, uncultured, or uncivilized person.
I may self-referentially call myself a heathen, and perhaps even get called one, with which I am fine.  The intent is to use it with the implied context that... 
1) does not contain derogatory connotations - I do not wish to demean myself, 
2) does not impart any dishonor or disrespect on the church that is my guide in this journey, and 
3) is fun and humorous.
Please post a comment if this (or anything else) is anything less than respectful and appreciative.  My intent is levity - I like to laugh, but if it's not right, I'd delight in changing for the better.

Back to the Story.

The only other observation of note from the new members class is that, on announcing my "heathen" status, Pastor Ray commented that "we'd have a number of talks" (paraphrasing).  I am delighted that he would be willing to make that investment.

Sounds like a good old Lutheran (or Canadian) "welcome - come on in".  What a great start.







No comments:

Post a Comment