Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The wonderful Messiah (not what you're thinkin' :D )

A quick update post - no significant progress.

Well, Easter Sunday was a minor first on a couple of fronts. It was my first traditional service, and the first when I realized that I am a musical traditionalist.

On the traditional service front I did not really learn / grow / develop much. The Easter Sunday service story is one that even a heathen already knows (at least in outline), so, aside from reinforcing some already-present (and unprocessed) messaging, this was not much of a developmental moment.

On the musical front, reinforced by the preponderance of song at this traditional service, I realized that my strong liking for vocal music persists, as does my love of Handel's Messiah. It is apparently a tradition that members of the church join the choir for a rendition of the Hallelujah Chorus. It was somewhere between wonderful and surprisingly good. In spite of all of the amateurs all parts were well sung, the effect was balanced, and the impact was real. That piece of music still brings tears to my eyes. Strange outcome for a heathen :D

No comments:

Post a Comment